Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Web Proxy (CISCO Content Engine) risks

From: jack suess <jack () UMBC EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:16:42 -0400

Joe St. Clair at U. of Oregon

jack
On Monday, April 28, 2003, at 08:36 PM, Jim Moore wrote:

I am looking into web proxy risks.  We have a lab that wants to set up
proxy server, to cache large volumes of web documentation, and I
believe
some streaming media.  The proxy is CISCO Content engine.

First, before I ask a dumb question, and reveal my lack of knowledge on
web proxies, what are the risks?  What can be misconfigured with
Content
Engine?

Second, revealing ignorance, how is SSL handled for things like
passwords on web sites, or encryption to ecommerce sites?  And related
to that, if it is to be used for documentation, can we communicate 50
ways to say, don't hit anything but public content (or make it a
policy?)

Third, along with the above communication, can we state that this is
not
an attempt to be big brother.

Lastly, there seems to be a technology that would enable pass through
of
content not aimed at the documentation site, but it requires additional
software on the adjacent routers.  Something we can't do.  Any other
suggestions?

Any liability risks?

This one is one that I wasn't prepared for.

Jim
--
--
Jim Moore, CISSP, IAM

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them. -Albert Einstein-