Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Background checks

From: Jeanne Smythe <Jeanne_Smythe () UNC EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:14:29 -0400

UNC Chapel Hill does minimal background checks on ALL new employees.
Certainly anyone with physical access to systems with confidential data
 should be included. For some areas, you may require a more exhaustive
background check.
Jeanne Smythe
Director for COmputing Policy

A. Harry Williams wrote:
Senior administrators here at the college have requested that IT
perform background checks on people hired at the datacenter.
(I say IT, but it will be contracted out to others) We are
now attempting to establish procedures on that, and one of the
major discussion points at this time is who is required to have
a background check.  Existing employees will be grandfathered, but
we are trying to determine if it should be all IT employees or a
subset.  I'd be interested in hearing from others that are performing
such checks if it is all employees or a subset, and if a subset,
how that subset was selected, and what you do if someone transfers
into that subset from either elsewhere in IT or elsewhere in the
univserity.

/ahw