Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: bugbear variant

From: Theresa M Rowe <rowe () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 16:16:29 -0400

We have been hit hard with this today.
It is particularly ugly.  We have Sophos at the gateway, and
Norton Corporate Edition at the desktop, and the variant hit
before either had an anti-virus definition available.  We got
definitions from Sophos at 11:30 AM and Norton at 1:30 PM.
We are now doing the clean-up.

While the virus seems to be stopped, it leaves behind
hooker.trojan in keystroke capturing mode, and that is
proving extremely difficult to clean-up.
Theresa Rowe