Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: CSO Job Description

From: Ced Bennett <Ced.Bennett () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 05:56:25 -0800

Art:
Here's the JD we posted last year (and the job I filled).  You can see that
this job is not a technical one but one that is leadership and management
focused (obviously, the managed group needs to be technical).  The
"reporting to" person called the Executive Director has since been changed
to the CIO (but there was no need to change the JD - until the next time it
is posted).  And the dotted reporting relationship to the Director of
Internal Audit has been incredibly useful (clearly that will vary depending
upon the incumbant in that job - ours is excellent).

Hope this helps,
Ced

Cedric Bennett          Ph:   650/723-0728      Fax:  650/723-2011
Director of Information Security Services
  Information Technology Systems & Services
Stanford University
Polya Hall, Room 103
255 Panama Street
Stanford, CA 94305-3055          Ced.Bennett () Stanford edu