Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

DRP survey - Please help

From: Ruben Z Xing <xingr () MAIL MONTCLAIR EDU>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 16:48:23 -0500

Hello everyone,

We're currently working on a project to help our school - Montclair
State University to assess the present Disaster Recovery Plan and going
to update with any helpful considerations. So we'd appreciate if any of
you could help us with the following brief survey.

I'll re-organize your answers and send back to anyone who might be
interested later.

Thank you in advance and best regards,

Dr. Ruben Hsing
Leader of DRP Research Group
Professor of MIS
Montclair State University, NJ
xingr () mail montclair edu

             Please Help to Complete the Survey

(Simply add your answers under each questions or feel free to use
additional sheet or other preferred formats)

1. Did your school ever experience any major business interruptions
(BI)? If No, please go to #3. If Yes, what were the main causes
(technical failure, security flaws, man-made attacks, natural disasters
or other...)?

2. Please briefly tell what were the major losses caused by BI (either
academic, administrative, or financial, or all)? Any rough figures you
would like to release?

3. Does your school currently have any Disaster Recovery Plan (DRP)? If
NO, are you planning to do so and how soon?

4. Does your DRP perform at hot, warm, and cold site? If yes, how
closely are they located? Do you own, rent or share these remote sites?

5. What's the rough percentage of your DRP costs among the total IT
budgets at your organization? Are you going to increase, decrease or
remain the current DRP budget?

6. What major technologies your current DRP uses? (e.g. fast tape
backup, remote tape backup, SAN, DAS, NAS....)

7. What are major constraints your schools currently have to implement
DRP? Any other DRP concerns you'd like to share with us?