Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Need info

From: Gene Spafford <spaf () CERIAS PURDUE EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 12:09:29 -0500

Folks,

As a result of a request from some governmental personnel to USACM, I
am seeking some specific examples of the chilling effect of the DMCA
(Digital Millennium Copyright Act).

In particular, if you have self-censored your research or teaching,
or not published a paper or software because you were concerned about
DMCA liability, I would like to hear from you.   If you have received
any mail or communications from any organization or company that you
interpreted as suggesting you cease work or avoid publication of
research because of the DMCA, I would also like to know.

I would prefer to hear from people who will allow their names and
stories to be used in print, but I would also like to hear from
people who wish to have identifying information kept unpublished.

Please reply to me by February 24.   Please pass this along to
colleagues who might know of such cases.

Thanks in advance.
--spaf