Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: What Every President Needs To Know

From: Kevin Shalla <Kevin.Shalla () IIT EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:57:32 -0600

While these are not new issues, they're on my mind:
There's no such thing as a useful and completely secure computer system;
all systems make tradeoffs to reach a point somewhere between very useful
and very secure.  Security is like insurance - it's possible that there may
never be any noticeable benefits, but without it, you leave yourself open
to devastation.  Once we have an effective way to measure and benchmark
security practices, insurance companies will help guide us (through premium
price) on how to get the biggest value on our security dollar.  Security
system sellers are looking to solve their own problem (sales / profits) not
your problem (security), and no product or service you can buy will reduce
your need to implement policies and procedures - and that is the harder
problem.