Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Certifications for Security Professionals

From: "Sadler, Connie" <Connie_Sadler () BROWN EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:30:06 -0500

I may be a bit biased, but I believe that the CISSP is the most
recognized certification internationally for people who are developing
or managing security programs. These other certifications are excellent,
but are more specialized - either technical in nature or in support of
an auditing type of function. The CISSP is now required for many
government and industry positions, and I think what is attractive about
it is that it covers the ten most important domains for a security
professional to be familiar with - building the foundation for a "Body
of Knowledge" that assures a breadth of familiarity and experience.
Information regarding the CISSP can be found at www.isc2.org. CISSP
Forum members have one of the most active and robust online forums that
I have seen - where help can be requested for everything from new
technologies to policy development to technical challenges. ISC2 also
now has a partnership with SANS that lends it even more credibility. I
am thinking about obtaining another certification, just to keep myself
up-to-date, but in my experience, the CISSP is a good place to start.

Connie J. Sadler, CM, CISSP
Director, IT Security, Brown University
Box 1885, Providence, RI 02912
Connie_Sadler () Brown edu