Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: unencrypted network sessions

From: Alex Campoe <campoe () USF EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:42:27 -0500

Hi Kevin

We have approximately 70,000 accounts on our server. We succesfully
removed telnet/ftp access last December by replacing it with ssh and
scp. We faced the same opposition at first. From the start we were
willing to discuss reasonable issues, but "this is what I am used to do"
and the other excuses you listed were not an option. At the end, my only
concern was the numerous web editors out there that do not offer scp
uploads.

After all was said and done, complaints turned out to be minimum.

Alex

Kevin Shalla wrote:
I've been trying to stamp out telnet and ftp access to all our servers (by
forcing ssh and sftp), and have been meeting with resistance.  The reasons
given include "other schools allow telnet", "we're a teaching and research
university, and that will limit learning", and "we have people in China and
India, and Korea who need access, and they don't have ssh or sftp".  Do
other schools allow telnet and ftp, and if not, how did you convince the
naysayers that it is a good idea to switch to ssh / sftp?

Kevin Shalla
Manager, Student Information Systems
Illinois Institute of Technology
<mailto:Kevin.Shalla () iit edu>