Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Network Driver's License (was Re: several other threads)

From: Steve Worona <sworona () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:08:53 -0500

So...I think this isn't really a "license".  A license determines what
you are permitted to do by law or policy.  Driving without a license is
illegal and subjects you to penalties whether you have an accident or
not.  I think (hope!) that's not what you're proposing.  This sounds
more like an optional certification which confers benefits, like, to
extend the driving metaphor, you might get lower insurance (ISP) rates
if you've taken Driver's Ed (Internet Ed).  Yes?  In that case, right
on!  A definite winner.  But let's stop calling it a license.
Steve
-----