Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FW: Lab report on slammer worm

From: Dan Updegrove <updegrove () MAIL UTEXAS EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 05:26:08 -0600

Mark and colleagues --

This feedback on IU the lab report from William Green, who manages the UT
Austin data network:

        We noticed three factors which effected load on routers. Traffic
rates and multicast, as they mentioned in their report, but also ARP for
unkown hosts which they did not mention in their report (more of an issue
for edge routers, or specific to router configuration).

        We experience I2 inflicted multicast damage years ago and took
precautions on our gateway router. Even with those precautions, multicast
continues to be a point of vulnerability. Multicast is an experimental and
thus far unsupportable protocol.

Thanks again for circulating the report.

Regards,
Dan