Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Security / Risks associated with BigFix

From: Jim Moore <jhmfa () CIS RIT EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 19:36:49 -0500

Someone on our technical staff suggested BigFix as a free service that
the non-technical might use to keep worms and intruders off of their
systems.

I looked at it and tried it out.  It has an agent, connects to a
database of fix applications.

It reminded me of the risks associated with central software
distribution.  What can distribute software can deliver malware.
What about a phoney fixlet that delivers a trojan?
What can query and profile the system from the inside, can be as
effective as a good scanner from the outside ...  Could it phone home
with lists of files or with the files themselves.

Has anyone done a risk analysis of BigFix?  Is anyone using it on a
large scale, or encouraging its use?

Jim
--
Jim Moore, CISSP, IAM
Information Security Officer

PGP (jimmoore () mail rit edu): 9C33 0328 CD59 B602 82B8 8521 0DC9 963C D0C0