Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IHEs & NATIONAL STRATEGY: Single Point-Of-Contact

From: Dan Updegrove <updegrove () MAIL UTEXAS EDU>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 14:42:48 -0500

Colleagues -

Most campuses I'm familiar with have either:

* a 24x7 staffed help desk, NOC, telecom call center, or data center
- a 24x7 police dept/security office

so external authorities could convey an alert 24x7x365. Then: how does the
campus respond to the alert?

* On-site staffer in the NOC diagnoses the problem and immediately shuts
down the offending port(s) remotely
* Network engineer on pager does this, after some contact delay

If there is no campus response after
<agreed-upon-time-depending-on-severity-of-attack>, we could envision an
agreement whereby ISP(s) could disconnect campus Internet service. For
multiply-connected sites this could be tricky, but we can, presumably
assume that any multiply-connected campus is "large and/or sophisticated,"
so will have all-night staff and/or experts on pagers. Thus most, if not
all, non-responding campuses could be shut down by one ISP, assuming that
the cognizant law enforcement contact knows how to contact the ISP.

There are risks here, of course: confused law enforcement agents issuing
orders to shut down the wrong campus (Penn, not Penn State, etc.), or
making arbitrary determinations as to the severity of the cyber attack.

I believe, however, that this is worth our discussing.

Dan