Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: cybersecurity insurance

From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <Ross.Stapleton-Gray () UCOP EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:30:46 -0700

At 12:09 PM 9/20/2002 -0400, Andrea Foster wrote:
Do you know of any college that has obtained, or is considering
obtaining cybersecurity insurance?
Have insurance companies been marketing this type of insurance to
colleges?

Andrea, I'm not aware of any, though it may be happening; biases against
universities obtaining such insurance would include perception (and
reality?) that we've less to lose, e.g., compared to a bank or brokerage,
and the prevalence of self-insurance strategies in other areas of
risk.  (I've given some thought to the idea, though, of internal insurance
markets, e.g., rules for how and when a loss might be covered by the
university at large, vs. falling on the head of the compromised
component... something to encourage meeting standards.)

Earlier this year, there was a workshop on economics and Internet security
held at UC Berkeley; "cyberinsurance" was one of the topics.  See Bill
Yurcik's presentation here:
http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/resources/affiliates/workshops/econsecurity/
He may be able to supply details on the current market for it, and who's
buying.

Ross

Ross Stapleton-Gray, Ph.D., CISSP
IT Security Officer
University of California Office of the President
510-587-6152
510-301-2858 cell