Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ID card access to campus buildings

From: Jere Retzer <retzerj () OHSU EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:05:08 -0700

Kevin Shalla:

What do others think of this, and who has experience with electronic card door locks?

They are appropriate in some places and not in others. You need to balance the several aims that you allude to in the
note -- security, customer service, public access

The following situations clearly justify this method: server or telecommunications closet, data center, medical
laboratory, surgical suite, warehouse

I would not use this mechanism in places that I expect the general public to visit: registrar's office, library,
faculty offices, clinic reception areas

I question this method for places that I expect employees to visit: human relations, employee clinics, administration

What is the threat that you are attempting to guard against?