BreachExchange mailing list archives

Vtech restores some online services after hack

From: Audrey McNeil <audrey () riskbasedsecurity com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 17:12:18 -0700

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35400162

Children's toy firm Vtech has reopened "key functions" of its Learning
Lodge gateway for the first time since it was hacked in November 2015.

The online service is a portal for customers to download games, e-books and
other content on to Vtech devices.

They can now register, manage their accounts and use the app store, but
some products, including the Power Xtra Laptop and InnoTV, remain offline.

Almost 6.4 million children's details were exposed by the hacker.

Other products which remain offline include the Secret Safe Diary Selfie,
Snuggle and Sleep Musical Sheep and MobiGo Touch Learning System.

"After the cyber-attack, we have focused on further strengthening security
around user registration information and other services within Learning
Lodge," said Vtech chairman and group chief executive Allan Wong in a
statement.

"With the key services now resumed, we strongly suggest that our existing
customers log into Learning Lodge as soon as they can and change their
passwords.

"We apologise that there are still some Learning Lodge services that remain
unavailable at this time. We continue to work very hard towards reopening
them as soon as possible."

Vtech confirmed at the time that the data accessed by the hacker included
children's names, dates of birth and gender as well as the "name, email
address, encrypted password, secret question and answer for password
retrieval, IP address, mailing address and download history" of the account
holder.

The hacker claimed to have acted to highlight the firm's vulnerability.

Some parents expressed anger that the service had not been restored in time
for Christmas.