BreachExchange mailing list archives

T-Mobile US fumes over users’ info hack

From: Audrey McNeil <audrey () riskbasedsecurity com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 18:28:01 -0600

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2015/10/03/431834/TMobile-US-data-breach

The head of telecommunication company, T-Mobile US, has lashed out at the
world's largest credit checking firm, Experian, over a massive hack attack
that stole the personal information of millions of Americans.

"I am incredibly angry about this data breach and we will institute a
thorough review of our relationship with Experian," said John Legere, the
chief executive of T-Mobile US.

The comments follow a massive data breach at Experian where the personal
information of as many as 15 million T-Mobile consumers was stolen.

The attack is the most recent by hackers targeting companies holding
personal details of millions of customers, a CNBC report said, adding that
identity theft has become more lucrative than stealing credit card details.

Experian is the world's largest credit-checking company and holds data on
millions of businesses and consumers and conducts billions of credit checks
a year.

Its web of electronic connections to companies of all sizes makes it
attractive to hackers. Defending the company and its customers from cyber
attack has been a board-level priority in recent years.

T-Mobile said "the hacker[s] acquired the records of approximately 15m
people, including new applicants requiring a credit check for service or
device financing from September 1, 2013 through September 16, 2015".

These records included personal details such as name, address and date of
birth as well as encrypted fields with Social Security numbers and
identification numbers from driving licenses or passports. Experian said
this encryption may have been compromised.