BreachExchange mailing list archives

Days after Hacking Team breach, nobody fired, no customers lost

From: Audrey McNeil <audrey () riskbasedsecurity com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 17:29:59 -0600

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/07/days-after-hacking-team-breach-nobody-fired-no-customers-lost/

Not one person has been fired at Hacking Team as a result of the
significant breach of its servers on Sunday, according to Eric Rabe, a
company spokesman.

"I don't know, I wouldn't anticipate that happening, but maybe if somebody
was found to be negligent," he told Ars by phone early Wednesday morning
from the company’s headquarters in Milan, Italy, where he was summoned
shortly after the epic hack.

A 400GB file, distributed via BitTorrent, reportedly includes not only
various employee e-mails but also source code, financial documents, and
more. In recent years, Hacking Team sold its spyware—designed to combat
criminal activity—to various governments globally (including American
federal law enforcement). The company has even presented to Swiss and
Canadian authorities.

Rabe added that Hacking Team isn’t going under any time soon.

"The company is certainly in operation. We have a lot of work to do," he
said. "[The hack] was a very sophisticated operation. This wasn't a lone
hacker working in an upstairs bedroom. This is a much more sophisticated
attack than that. Businesses are frequently the subject of such attacks
like this, and sometimes they're successful."

Surprisingly, Rabe also claimed that Hacking Team has not suffered beyond
utter embarrassment for the time being.

"I don't think we've lost any clients at this point. We're obviously
talking to clients and trying to reassure them," he said, underscoring that
Hacking Team has asked its clients to stop using its software.

"Because if it's not discoverable now, it will be soon. I think they
completely understand why that's a reasonable request, but we don't know if
every single customer has."

When asked if it was appropriate for a Hacking Team "Senior System and
Security Engineer" who may have been the original vector for the attack to
have a list of links to a pornographic website on his work computer, Rabe
said emphatically no.

A file (NSFW) attributed to Christian Pozzi’s desktop, whose laughably weak
plaintext passwords(including his since-changed Gmail password:
"Passw0rd!81") were exposed as part of the breach and whose Twitter account
was hacked, contained a list of several porn-related links.

"Do I think that employees should have pornography on their work computer?
I don't, and I don't think they should have it on their home computer
either," he said.

But, he added, "I have no idea what the circumstances are."

Selling to Sudan

One of the areas where Hacking Team has been roundly criticized is selling
it wares to Sudan, a country with a notoriously poor human rights record.
The African nation is also subject to a United Nations arms embargo, asset
freeze, and travel ban.

"I'd like to be able to say more than I can on Sudan, but some of the
reporting you've seen indicates they're no longer a customer," Rabe said.

"I came onto the company myself at the end of 2012 as the company began to
mature, and there were serious public policies issues that they needed to
deal with and that precipitated a review of who they were doing business
with and whether they were places they felt good about."

But while Sudan may not have paid for services beyond 2012, it certainly
made use of the Hacking Team Remote Control System through nearly all of
2014. Hacking Team even continued to provide training and other services,
with limited success, according to The Intercept.

As that website reported on Tuesday:

"Internal records show that in 2012, Sudan’s National Intelligence and
Security Service in Khartoum paid 960,000 euros for Remote Control System.
Emails confirm that Hacking Team cut off the account’s service on November
24, 2014.

"During a training session for the Sudan intelligence service in January
2014, a Hacking Team engineer noted that none of the people attending the
training "is enough prepared for the product usage. The main problem is the
lack of basic computer usage, followed by a complete lack of English: 90%
of them had problems just for typing a username on a keyboard and serious
difficulties in moving the mouse."

"In November, Russo wrote that Sudan was "unofficially suspended, on-hold."

Rabe did not immediately respond to Ars’ e-mailed followup questions
regarding Sudan.

Trust us

Ars also asked about Hacking Team selling products and services to private
companies rather than just law enforcement or government agencies—companies
such as banks.

"I think that's a misunderstanding of the documents," Rabe said. "Years ago
Hacking Team provided other services like security audits, and in those
days some of those were provided to non-governmental organizations, but the
surveillance tool was never sold to non-governmental organizations, and
that remains the case."

He explained that the company had a "panel that reviewed sales and looked
at the human rights records and had veto power over the sale if they didn't
think it was appropriate."

While Rabe did say this had happened, he would not say how many times.

"Obviously I'm not going to tell you that," he responded. "It's certainly
within our right of who we want to do business with. When the Wassenaar
Protocols took effect we felt that replaced the need for the panel. I'm not
going to discuss it further. You're just going to have to take my word for
it, I'm afraid."

Rabe argued that just as the United States and other Western countries
routinely sell arms to allied countries like Saudi Arabia, so too should
Hacking Team be able to sell its code there as well. After all, he pointed
out, more than a dozen of the September 11 hijackers were from that country.

"Do you want Saudi Arabia to be able to track that sort of thing or would
you rather have them be able to operate behind contemporary secrecy and the
Internet?" he said.

"My point is not really to argue the various dangers of different kinds of
equipment but just to say that if you’re going to sell weaponry to a
country, it's a little disingenuous to say that a crime-fighting tool is
off-limits."

Rabe ended the call with a forceful defense of the company’s entire
business model, saying that there should be a controlled, appropriate way
for governments and law enforcement to breach digital security.

"[CEO David Vincenzetti] started life in what we would call defensive
security, to keep people out, and then he realized as more and more of the
communications became inaccessible, that there was a need for a tool that
gave investigators the opportunity to do surveillance," he said. "I don’t
think that's really that hard to understand, frankly. I don't think any of
us are against cryptography, but what we're against is police being able to
catch criminals and prevent crime, that's what we're worried about."