BreachExchange mailing list archives

Skills gap to blame for breaches, say cyber pros

From: Audrey McNeil <audrey () riskbasedsecurity com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 18:29:30 -0600

http://www.acumin.co.uk/main/news/view/skills-gap-to-blame-for-breaches-say-cyber-pros/4137

The often reported gap in online security skills seems set to continue,
after a new report indicates that by the year 2020, the UK will be short of
more than a million trained cyber professionals.

Frost and Sullivan's seventh Global Workforce Survey features some
interesting insights for cyber security teams, CISOs and the online
security sector as a whole.

The most worrying statistic in the report predicts a 1.5m shortage in cyber
security professionals in the next five years. Half of all online security
personnel believe that to be an important factor in the rise of data
breaches.

The staff shortage affects how enterprises are able to respond to breaches.
Around 44 per cent said that it can take up to a week to correct data
breaches, while a further 19 per cent said that it can take three weeks.

The managing director of cyber security educators EMEA, Adrian Davis,
commented:

“Our first workforce study was conducted in 2004 to illuminate critical
concerns within information and cyber-security that were struggling for
attention.

“The 2015 report shows that many of these issues are finally getting much
needed budget and priority. Unfortunately, we are now facing new challenges
and our skills and staffing challenge is growing.”

Staff shortages are an issue in any department but, with cyber security,
the effects can be catastrophic. Data breaches not only cause havoc with an
organisation's ability to perform tasks, but can also cause customers to be
disillusioned. A shortage of people to fill cyber security jobs paints a
worrying picture, and is an issue business owners should bear in mind in
ensuring that they do all they can to fill that particular role.