BreachExchange mailing list archives

Massive breach at Anthem health care

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 22:38:57 -0500

Massive breach at health care company Anthem Inc.

 Elizabeth Weise, USATODAY 10:19 p.m. EST February 4, 2015

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/02/04/health-care-anthem-hacked/22900925/

SAN FRANCISCO - As many as 80 million customers of the nation's second large health insurance company, Anthem Inc.,
have had their account information stolen, the company said in a statement.

"Anthem was the target of a very sophisticated eternal cyber attack," Anthem president and CEO Joseph Swedish said in a
statement posted on the company's website.

The hackers gained access to Anthem's computer system and got information including names, birthdays, medical IDs,
Social Security numbers, street addresses, email addresses and employment information, including income data, Swedish
said.

Both current and former customers were hit, he said.

Anthem has contacted the FBI and is working with the computer security firm Mandiant to evaluate its systems.

"Anthem's own associates' personal information--including my own--was accessed during this security breach. We join in
your concern and frustration and I assure you that we are working around the clock to do everything we can to further
secure your data," Swedish said.

The breach was discovered last week, Anthem said.

Anthem Inc. was previously known as WellPoint Inc. It was formed when Anthem Insurance Company bought WellPoint Health
Networks in 2004.

Anthem has customers in 14 states.

--
It's better to burn out than fade away.