BreachExchange mailing list archives

You Should Treat Public Computers Like Public Bathrooms

From: Audrey McNeil <audrey () riskbasedsecurity com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 18:48:51 -0600

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2014/07/keyloggers_at_hotel_business_centers_the_dangers_of_public_computers.html

When I was in college, the main campus library had several computers set up
on the first floor for public use, and invariably, whenever I used one, a
previous user had not logged out of her Gmail account. So when I tried to
load my account, I would instead find myself staring at the entire contents
of someone else’s inbox. Of course, I would then log that person out and
sign myself in—but those brief moments when I had complete access to
another person’s email were terrifying nonetheless. How could people be so
careless with something as valuable as their email account? And then,
inevitably, after my own session, I would make it halfway across campus and
suddenly begin worrying that I might have forgotten to log myself out—the
same way you might worry you forgot to turn off the stove, or lock the door
before leaving your house—and so I would trek back up to the library and
check.

I still fear public computers, a terror that was only reinforced by the
July 10 advisory that the Secret Service and the National Cybersecurity and
Communications Integration Center issued about keyloggers on hotel business
center machines. The advisory, first reported by security researcher Brian
Krebs, was directed at the hospitality industry and warned of cases in
which people who had registered at hotels with stolen credit cards
downloaded keylogging software onto the computers in the hotels’ business
centers.

The software would then capture every keystroke entered on those public
machines—including the usernames and passwords entered by unsuspecting
hotel guests, as well as the content of any emails or documents they wrote
on those machines. The log of these keystrokes would be emailed to the
person who had installed the malicious program, providing the hacker with a
wealth of data on the business center users. “The suspects were able to
obtain large amounts of information including other guests’ personally
identifiable information (PII), log in credentials to bank, retirement and
personal webmail accounts, as well as other sensitive data flowing through
the business center’s computers,” according to the advisory.

This, of course, is a far more serious—and nefarious—threat than college
students who forget to log out of their Gmail accounts and thereby give
strangers access to their email, but both risks stem from a common problem
in computer security: our tendency to treat public computers like personal
ones and, more broadly, to ignore the physical dimension of cybersecurity.

Krebs points out that while there are ways that hotels can try to make it
more difficult for people to download keyloggers on their computers—by
restricting users’ ability to install programs, for instance—there’s a
limited amount that can be done to improve the security of public
computers, especially if they’re to provide any valuable services to users.
Or, as Krebs puts it, “if a skilled attacker has physical access to a
system, it’s more or less game over for the security of that computer.”

Basic safeguards are still worth taking, if only to restrict the set of
potential perpetrators to “skilled attackers.” The advisory noted:

"The attacks were not sophisticated, requiring little technical skill, and
did not involve the exploit of vulnerabilities in browsers, operating
systems or other software. The malicious actors were able to utilize a
low-cost, high impact strategy to access a physical system, stealing
sensitive data from hotels and subsequently their guest’s [sic]
information."

It doesn’t take much skill to find keylogging software online and install
it on a public machine. You don’t need to know how computers work, you
don’t need to be an expert coder, you just need to be dishonest—and have
access to a computer that other people use. This is data theft at its
easiest—and perhaps also at its easiest to overlook.

In cybersecurity research, we think a lot about the variety of threats that
can flow over networks and the silent, nonphysical ways that computers can
be accessed and penetrated and entered—via email, Web pages, and other
means. These sorts of crimes present a whole host of new security problems
that are worth studying and addressing in light of the fact that the
principles and assumptions of physical security no longer apply. The very
notion of “access,” in fact, changes radically in this context—and the
language we use to talk about cybersecurity breaches, in which attackers
successfully “penetrate” machines, or get “inside” computers, reinforces
how thoroughly physical ideas have been co-opted and given virtual meanings
in this space.

But sometimes we risk forgetting that the lessons and language of physical
security still matter and still apply. Yes, you can steal information from
a computer halfway across the world—but it’s often much easier, especially
for criminals with limited technical expertise, to steal from a computer
you can walk right up to—a computer in a hotel’s business center or college
library. Even privately owned computers that are left unlocked present a
prime target for the technically unskilled criminal, and while people
routinely use lock screens on their cellphones, they often don’t take the
same degree of precaution with their laptops.

The good news about the physical security elements of cybersecurity threats
is that, just as they are relatively easy for nontechnical people to
exploit, they are also fairly straightforward for other nontechnical people
to defend against. Essentially, you want to make it as difficult as
possible for anyone who is not you to ever use your private computer, and
you should only use public ones under the assumption that anything you do
on them may be captured or accessible to others. Just as you might take
basic hygiene steps to avoid germs and bacteria in public bathrooms (or on
public keyboards), some simple cyber hygiene measures can help you ward
against the digital diseases carried by the outside world. This means
always—always, always—locking your computer whenever you walk away from it,
not letting other people use it, and not checking your primary email
account or bank account—or doing anything else potentially sensitive—in a
hotel business center or on any other public computer.

This certainly won’t protect against all cybersecurity threats—it won’t
even protect against all of the problems posed by hotel networks, which can
be used to install malware on personal computers, or even public
computers—my sophomore year, those same computers in the main campus
library that I occasionally (and foolishly) used to check my email were
used to send anonymous death threats via email. But at the very least,
these sorts of measures will help weed some of the less technically
talented from the field of would-be cybercriminals and allow us to continue
studying and learning about the novel nature of these digital threats
without losing sight of the ways in which they are not entirely new.
Cybersecurity and physical security are closely related—increasingly so, as
more physical objects are connected to online infrastructure in various
ways—and even as computer networks pose some new security challenges, they
can still benefit from applying some of the older lessons of physical
security.