BreachExchange mailing list archives

Hacking Exposed 78% Of All Records Compromised In First Half Of 2014

From: Audrey McNeil <audrey () riskbasedsecurity com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:39:19 -0600

https://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/2014/08/hacking-exposed-78-of-all-records-compromised-in-first-half-of-2014/

We are pleased to release our Data Breach QuickView report that shows that
2014 is on pace to replace 2013 as the highest year on record for exposed
records, and the recently reported exposure of 1.2 billion email addresses
and user names has not been included. The 1331 incidents reported during
the first half of 2014 exposed over 502 million records, nearing 61% of the
814 million records exposed in 2013.

Although the number of data breaches reported during 2014 is on pace to
exceed 2013, the all-time record of 3,195 set in 2012 appears to be safe.
“When you analyze the data breach activity during the first half of the
year, it’s startling to see the jump in reported hacking activity” said
Barry Kouns, CEO of Risk Based Security. “Compared to the same time period
for 2013, there has been a 59% increase in the number of breaches caused by
hacking and a 46% increase in the number of records compromised. Clearly
hackers are taking advantage of existing vulnerabilities wherever they can
be found, and they can apparently be found everywhere.”

“Just like we reported in the first quarter report, it’s hard to find a
bright-side, said Kouns. Already 2014 has added three incidents to the “Top
10” data breaches all time, taking over the number one, four and eight
spots. “

The Data Breach QuickView report also revealed that individuals’ user
names, passwords and email addresses were exposed in 57% of reported
incidents, with passwords taking the top spot at 70.1% of all Mid-year 2014
breaches. “Once again, when you analyze the data breaches, you see that
twenty-three organizations were breached more than once this year alone,
added Kouns.”

Risk Based Security’s research suggests that organizations in all
industries, regardless of size, should take an active approach to review
their networks for security vulnerabilities in their applications,
infrastructure and third party libraries. By doing so, organizations can
reduce the time of exposure they are facing with many of today’s threats.

About the Data Breach QuickView Report

The Data Breach QuickView report is intended to be an executive level
summary of the key findings from RBS’ analysis of 2014’s data breach
incidents. Contact Risk Based Security for your customized analysis of the
2014 data breaches.

You can view the 2014 Data Breach QuickView report here:

https://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/reports/2014-MidYearDataBreachQuickView.pdf

About Risk Based Security, Inc.

Risk Based Security is a leading-edge security and threat intelligence
company. We provide the most timely, highest quality and most fully
comprehensive vulnerability and data breach intelligence services
available. Data intelligence is the basis for our consulting and
information security services including ISO/IEC 27001, SDL and our virtual
YourCISO service.

For more information, please contact us via email or call 855-RBS-RISK.