BreachExchange mailing list archives

Snapchat user info database leaks

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 00:29:55 -0500

Snapchat user info database leaks, claims to hold most numbers and usernames

BY Richard Lawler 58 minutes ago

Last week security researchers published a way to skim Snapchat's full
database, and it appears someone did it before the vulnerability was
addressed. A website called SnapchatDB! has appeared posting SQL/CSV
files that it claims contain the username and associated phone number
for a "vast majority" of the service's users, with the last two digits
of the numbers obscured. That amounts to 4.6 million pairs, although
actually downloading the files to actually use them or verify the claim
seems impossible, presumably due to an overload of traffic. We don't
know who is behind the website (its WHOIS record is hidden by
WHOISGuard), but the homepage claims this release is happening to "raise
awareness" of the fact that companies with our private information
should be more careful with it. As the site mentions, even the info
included could be enough to figure out someone's phone number from their
username (if it's also used publicly on Twitter, for example),
especially problematic for those with unlisted numbers. They also have
not ruled out releasing the uncensored database "under certain
circumstances," so if you've ever used the service, this may be
something to keep an eye out for.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/31/snapchat-user-info-leak/