BreachExchange mailing list archives

Insurer Sues Schnucks Over Data Breach

From: Jake Kouns <jkouns () opensecurityfoundation org>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 13:43:15 -0400

http://supermarketnews.com/retail-amp-financial/insurer-sues-schnucks-over-data-breach

ST. LOUIS — The insurance company for Schnuck Markets has filed a
lawsuit against the retailer seeking release from liability over a
data breach the chain suffered earlier this year.

Liberty Mutual Insurance Co. said in the suit that it is only
responsible for physical damage, according to a report in the St.
Louis Post-Dispatch.

"The Liberty Mutual situation is disappointing, even surprising, as we
never expected a lawsuit from our insurance company," Schnucks said in
a statement provided to SN. "We bought a policy and they are
attempting to walk away from their obligations under that policy. We
were proactive in obtaining that insurance and we expect them to honor
their commitment."

As previously reported, hackers accessed data Schnucks held on some
2.4 million credit cards used at its stores between December of last
year and March of this year.