BreachExchange mailing list archives

Raley's warns customers of cyber attack, possible security breach

From: Erica Absetz <erica () riskbasedsecurity com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 13:22:55 -0500

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_23408877/raleys-warns-customers-cyber-attack-possible-security-breach

The Raley's supermarket chain warned customers Thursday that part of
the company's computer network may have been targeted in a cyber
attack.

The company stated in a news release that it could not confirm if any
unauthorized access had been made to payment card data, but that an
internal investigation remains ongoing. However, the company said it
did not believe that debit PINs could have been accessed.

Raley's does not collect Social Security or driver's license numbers
with payment card transactions.

Since the discovery of the cyber attack, the company said it has taken
steps to enhance security measures already in place to protect
customer data.

Raley's has numerous locations throughout the Bay Area, including
Walnut Creek, Martinez, Antioch, Oakley and Pleasanton.

"Our customers' peace of mind is our top priority. We take protecting
our customers' privacy seriously and sincerely regret any
inconvenience that the attack on our network may have caused," Mike
Teel, Raley's President & CEO, said in the release.

The company encouraged customers to check their bank and credit card
statements for possible unauthorized transactions, and then to contact
their bank and credit card company if they find suspicious charges.

Customers can reach Raley's dedicated response team from 7 a.m. to 10
p.m. every day at 1-800-925-9989 or they can visit www.raleys.com.

Supporters:

Risk Based Security (http://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/)
Risk Based Security equips organizations with security intelligence, risk
management services and on-demand security solutions to establish
customized risk-based programs to address information security and
compliance challenges.

Tenable Network Security (http://www.tenable.com/)
Tenable Network Security provides a suite of solutions which unify real-time
vulnerability, event and compliance monitoring into a single, role-based, interface
for administrators, auditors and risk managers to evaluate, communicate and
report needed information for effective decision making and systems management.