BreachExchange mailing list archives

Stolen laptop contained information about DSHS clients

From: Erica Absetz <erica () riskbasedsecurity com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 14:14:23 -0400

http://dshs.wa.gov/mediareleases/2013/pr13011.shtml

OLYMPIA: A private contractor's laptop computer containing
confidential and personal health information on 652 state Department
of Social and Health Services clients was discovered to be stolen Feb.
4 in Gig Harbor.

The computer belonging to Dr. Sunil Kakar was recovered in a pawn shop
by Gig Harbor Police on Feb. 14. Security measures, including password
protection, were in place. There is no evidence that the files were
accessed by unauthorized people or used for identity theft.

"We are unable to determine whether the data was accessed or further
copied or disclosed. While there is no information to show that the
stolen data has been accessed or used for identity theft, I am erring
on the side of caution and notifying every person who might be
affected," said Kakar in letters to the 652 clients. "I am extremely
sorry for this situation and understand it may cause concern,
embarrassment and inconvenience. I try very hard to earn your trust,
and that includes protecting sensitive information about you. I take
client confidentiality very seriously."

All 652 clients have been notified of the potential breach of their
confidential information and steps they can take to protect themselves
from identity theft in the event that information had been
compromised.

The clients whose information was included on the laptop were
receiving services from the Department’s Economic Services
Administration.

Depending on the services rendered, the client information could
include client names; identification numbers; psychological
evaluations, including notes and reports with diagnoses; dates of
birth, the last four digits of Social Security numbers; dates of
services; and addresses.