BreachExchange mailing list archives

Computer security breach could affect up to 43, 000 Froedtert patients

From: Erica Absetz <eabsetz () opensecurityfoundation org>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:26:37 -0500

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/191181111.html

WAUKESHA - A computer hacker may have information on 43,000 patients
at Froedtert Hospital and some of its clinics.

The hospital says a letter went out to patients earlier this week, but
Froedtert learned about the breach in December.

The investigation took several weeks after a computer hacker may have
gathered information on up to 43,000 patients.

Froedtert says someone found a computer virus which may have allowed
someone to access patient files through a staff member's computer.

Now, they find no evidence to indicate that no one wrongfully accessed
any patient information.

They say no patient's financial or medical records were accessed or affected.

However, they can't say or rule out the possibility that someone
obtained other information like:
- Patient names
- Dates of birth
- Insurance information
- Social security numbers

Froedtert says it deeply regrets any concerns patients may have, but
the hospital is notifying them as a precaution.

"The risk to these patients is small, but notifying them is the right
thing to do. We're very sorry for any concerns this may cause.
Unfortunately, such computer attacks are increasingly common,
affecting organizations worldwide. We are reviewing our information
security practices to help prevent this from happening again," said
spokeswoman Kathy Seija in a statement.

People with questions can click here for more information from
Froedtert Hospital or call 1-855-770-0006, with reference code
5764020813, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on weekdays.