BreachExchange mailing list archives

ANZ to contact customers in ATM security breach

From: Erica Absetz <erica () riskbasedsecurity com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 12:30:45 -0400

http://www.3news.co.nz/ANZ-to-contact-customers-in-ATM-security-breach/tabid/421/articleID/292205/Default.aspx

ANZ is making contact with customers whose security may have been
breached due to using ATMs that have been compromised recently by
fraudsters.

Managing retail director Kerri Thompson said the bank became aware
yesterday afternoon that a small number of fraudulent transactions
were made on some cards from locations in Bulgaria.

“We are identifying the cards that were used in the affected machines
and are contacting cardholders from ANZ and other banks that might
have used these ATMS,” she said.

“We’re aware that these fraudsters monitor news media reports so we’re
reluctant to reveal too much about the situation.  However it does
appear that these fraudsters have used hit-and-run tactics – placing
devices on ATMs for a short time – to bypass our frequent checks.”

Ms Thompson said ANZ will be restricting withdrawals on ANZ cards used
in affected ATMs to prevent accounts from being accessed illegally.

“Should cardholders have difficulty accessing funds on their cards,
we’d ask them to call our contact centre on 0800 269 296.”

She also urged customers to contact ANZ if they believed there had
been unusual activity in their accounts.

Supporters:

Risk Based Security (http://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/)
Risk Based Security equips organizations with security intelligence, risk
management services and on-demand security solutions to establish
customized risk-based programs to address information security and
compliance challenges.

Tenable Network Security (http://www.tenable.com/)
Tenable Network Security provides a suite of solutions which unify real-time
vulnerability, event and compliance monitoring into a single, role-based, interface
for administrators, auditors and risk managers to evaluate, communicate and
report needed information for effective decision making and systems management.