BreachExchange mailing list archives

Dental patients' info dumped outside building on Detroit's east side

From: Erica Absetz <erica () riskbasedsecurity com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 10:39:28 -0400

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/Dental-patients-info-dumped-outside-building-on-Detroit-s-east-side/-/1719418/19486266/-/7xnf7tz/-/index.html

Personal patient information from a dental office on Detroit's east
side has been dumped out in the open.

A tip call lead Local 4 to go find the pages of patient data that is
sitting inside a dumpster outside the Kelly Plaza Dental Center, which
is on Kelly Road near Whittier Street.

There is an eviction notice from the 36th District Court posted on the
building. It's dated from Tuesday.

Michael Binion said he saw bailiffs loading a dumpster Tuesday. He
described what he was finding inside the dumpster.

"I got life insurance policies, time cards, everything. Kids dental
records, family records you can't be identified. A lot of information
is up to date," Binion said.

The dental practice had belonged to Dr. Wilbert Purifoy, who died
about seven years ago.  But his practice has continued.  Current
patient Lakayesha Shepard and her children are patients. She said she
is concerned.

"My little kids, their identities could be stolen as well as mine,"
Shepard said.

Office manager Ebenezer Yirenchi blamed the dumping of the patient
files on a dental assistant who was fired this week. Yirenchi said old
records were tossed out but no current patient information is lost.

"I got in the dumpster myself and took every box out," Yirenchi said.

The Michigan Board of Dental Licensing may look into the situation, to
see who might be responsible and get assurances that all records are
being protected.