BreachExchange mailing list archives

Naperville website "compromised" by hacker

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 00:06:28 -0500 (CDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/naperville/chi-naperville-website-compromised-by-hacker-20121008,0,7166648.story

By Melissa Jenco
Tribune reporter
October 8, 2012

Naperville residents' credit card information was not compromised by the
virus that has kept the city?s website and email down for nearly a week,
officials said Monday night.

The city has launched a criminal investigation into the breach and has set
up a website with the most crucial information for residents until it can
get the full site up and running again.

"I apologize that it is such a significant, major inconvenience," City
Manager Doug Krieger said. "However at this time that inconvenience does
not trump our operational security."

Krieger told the City Council Monday the city experiences half a million
attempts to hack its website and email systems daily, but on Oct. 2,
someone was successful.

"Basically our website was compromised - It means that somebody was able
to get past our security and enter into basically the city's systems," he
said.

[...]

Supporters:

Risk Based Security (http://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/)
Risk Based Security equips organizations with security intelligence, risk
management services and on-demand security solutions to establish
customized risk-based programs to address information security and
compliance challenges.

Tenable Network Security (http://www.tenable.com/)
Tenable Network Security provides a suite of solutions which unify real-time
vulnerability, event and compliance monitoring into a single, role-based, interface
for administrators, auditors and risk managers to evaluate, communicate and
report needed information for effective decision making and systems management.