BreachExchange mailing list archives

Hacker steals entire nation's identity

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 22:31:32 -0600 (CST)

http://boingboing.net/2012/11/21/hacker-steals-entire-nations.html

Hacker steals entire nation's identity
Cory Doctorow at 5:15 pm Wed, Nov 21

A Greek hacker stole the personal data of about 9,000,000 Greek residents,
which is approximately the same as the population of Greece itself. As
Kevin at Lowering the Bar points out, this means that "If You're Greek,
Someone Probably Just Stole Your Identity."

Third, according to some reports, the files "appeared to include duplicate
entries," so the actual number of affected Greeks may be lower than 9
million, but we don't know how much lower yet. For now we have to assume
the number is 9 million, so your answer should have been that there is
approximately a 91% chance that any particular Greek citizen's identity
has been stolen. That number is high enough that it seems reasonable to
say that somebody just stole an entire country's identity, and to use
italics to do it.

Supporters:

Risk Based Security (http://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/)
Risk Based Security equips organizations with security intelligence, risk
management services and on-demand security solutions to establish
customized risk-based programs to address information security and
compliance challenges.

Tenable Network Security (http://www.tenable.com/)
Tenable Network Security provides a suite of solutions which unify real-time
vulnerability, event and compliance monitoring into a single, role-based, interface
for administrators, auditors and risk managers to evaluate, communicate and
report needed information for effective decision making and systems management.