BreachExchange mailing list archives

LinkedIn notification letter

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 16:22:58 -0500 (CDT)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Important update regarding your LinkedIn password
Date:   Fri, 8 Jun 2012 01:34:17 -0700
From:   LinkedIn <linkedin () e linkedin com>
To:     [address]

LinkedIn

Dear [Name],

We recently became aware that some LinkedIn passwords were compromised
and posted on a hacker website. We immediately launched an investigation
and we have reason to believe that your password was included in the post.

To the best of our knowledge, no email logins associated with the
passwords have been published, nor have we received any verified reports
of unauthorized access to any member?s account as a result of this
event. While a small subset of the passwords was decoded and published,
we do not believe yours was among them.

The security of your account is very important to us at LinkedIn. As a
precaution, we disabled your password, and advise you to take the
following steps to reset it. If you reset your password in the last two
days, there is no need for further action.

1. Type www.linkedin.com/settings directly into your browser
2. Type in your email address and press Sign In, no password necessary
3. Follow the on-screen directions to reset your password

Note: Do not reuse your old password when creating your new password.

If you have been using your old LinkedIn password on other sites, we
recommend that you change those passwords too. We appreciate your
immediate attention to resetting your password and apologize for the
inconvenience.

Thank you,
The LinkedIn Team

This email was intended for [Name].
© 2012, LinkedIn Corporation. 2029 Stierlin Ct. Mountain View, CA 94043,
USA

Supporters:

Risk Based Security (http://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/)
Risk Based Security equips organizations with security intelligence, risk
management services and on-demand security solutions to establish
customized risk-based programs to address information security and
compliance challenges.

Tenable Network Security (http://www.tenable.com/)
Tenable Network Security provides a suite of solutions which unify real-time
vulnerability, event and compliance monitoring into a single, role-based, interface
for administrators, auditors and risk managers to evaluate, communicate and
report needed information for effective decision making and systems management.