BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: [Dataloss] Porn site coders expose user info of millions

From: "Al" <macwheel99 () wowway com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 20:34:47 -0600

A careless programmer is one possible explanation.  There are many others.

Management is often reluctant to supply computer professionals with the
resources we need to do a proper job, so we end up with workarounds, to do
our job, which carry a variety of risks.

Sometimes companies call upon temporary workers, outsourced to manage some
coding changes, then the instant they have what is needed, the workers are
dropped, so any debug functions the temporary workers had initiated,
intended as temporary, to try to figure out why something not yet working
properly, never get turned off.

Sometimes there is a transition between different ways of delivering
computer services.  As soon as the new way is satisfactory, companies might
drop the IT staff implementing the change.  So the old way is still running
in parallel, never closed down.  Do this a few times, and multiple old ways
are still running in parallel.

Companies ask computer staff to set up something, which is to run without
human interaction.  With employee turn-over, corporate memory forgets all
what is running on their computer systems.

We all get lots of software, without the foggiest notion of what all that it
is doing under the covers.  We are only interested in particular features of
the software, which was our reason for getting it.  We includes most
everyone connected to our employer networks.
-
Al Mac