BreachExchange mailing list archives

fringe: O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 18:46:46 -0600 (CST)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16725531

25 January 2012 Last updated at 13:29 ET

O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online

O2 has apologised for a technical problem which caused users' phone
numbers to be disclosed when using its mobile data.

The company said it normally only passed numbers to "trusted partners".

A problem during routine maintenance meant that from 10 January numbers
could have been seen by other websites.

"We investigated, identified and fixed it this afternoon. We would like to
apologise for the concern we have caused," the company said.

The Information Commissioner's Office had said that it would speak to O2
"to better understand what has happened".

In a blog post the company said: "We are in contact with the Information
Commissioner's office, and we will be co-operating fully."

[..]

http://blog.o2.co.uk/home/2012/01/o2-mobile-numbers-and-web-browsing.html

O2 mobile numbers and web browsing

Security is of the utmost importance to us and we take the protection of
our customers. data extremely seriously.

We have seen the report published this morning suggesting the potential
for disclosure of customers. mobile phone numbers to website owners.

We investigated, identified and fixed it this afternoon. We would like to
apologise for the concern we have caused.

Below is a set of Q&As, to answer questions we've been receiving. If you
have further questions, do leave them in the blog comments and we will do
our best to answer as many as possible.

[..]