BreachExchange mailing list archives

Steam Web sites hacked, gamer data exposed

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 10:32:59 -0600 (CST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-57322788-245/steam-web-sites-hacked-gamer-data-exposed/

By Elinor Mills
InSecurity Complex
CNet News
November 10, 2011

Hackers broke into a database with customer information at the Steam
online gaming site, accessed user forum accounts and defaced a forum site,
the company said.

"Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We
began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam
forums," Gabe Newell, co-founder of Steam developer Valve Corp., said in a
statement posted to the Steam site.

"We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition
to the forums," he added. "This database contained information including
user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses,
billing addresses and encrypted credit card information."

The statement said there was no evidence that encrypted credit card
numbers or personally identifying information was stolen or that
protection on the credit card numbers was cracked. "We don't have evidence
of credit card misuse at this time," Newell said. "Nonetheless you should
watch your credit card activity and statements closely."

[...]