BreachExchange mailing list archives

The Sun website readers personal info released on the web after hack

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 16:52:09 -0400

http://www.techdigest.tv/2011/08/the_sun_website.html

The Sun website has yet again fallen foul to a hacking attack, which
may have lead to the release of thousands of users' sensitive
information being released online.

The attack has been attributed to a hacker known as Batteye, who
claimed responsibility for the breach in a Pastebin post. The hacker
stated that:

"We will begin today by presenting to you, various files obtained from
the Sun, a company within the News Corp group. We will continue, then,
by exposing the world for what it is; a less than perfect place where
we cannot trust those who we ask to protect our information."

News International, owners of The Sun, have responded by calling in
the police and information commissioner to investigate the breach. It
is thought that readers' names, addresses, dates of birth, emails and
phone numbers were accessed, though password and financial information
remained secure.