BreachExchange mailing list archives

HSN part of Epsilon breach

From: Jake Kouns <jkouns () opensecurityfoundation org>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 13:40:27 -0400

*From:* HSN Customer Service <CommunityNews () email-hsn com>
*Date:* April 2, 2011 2:00:34
*Subject:* *Important Customer Service Notification*
*

  * *     April 2, 2011

Dear HSN Customer,

HSN values your trust and wants to make you aware of a recent incident. We
learned from our email provider, Epsilon, that limited information about you
was accessed by an unauthorized individual or individuals. This information
included your name and email address and did not include any financial or
other sensitive information. We felt it was important to notify you of this
incident as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience and have
outlined below a number of email safeguards to help ensure your privacy
online.

Email scams, spam, and other attacks on email systems are on the rise, but,
by taking certain precautions when receiving emails, you can continue to
safely use email for your business and personal needs:

   - Don't open links or attachments from people you don't know and trust.
   - Don't provide personal, financial, or other sensitive information when
   asked to do so by email. Most reputable companies do not ask for such
   information by email, and, rest assured, we will not do so.
   - If you receive an email appearing to come from us that does ask you for
   sensitive information, do not respond, click on any links, or download any
   attachments. Instead, please inform us immediately at the toll-free number
   or email address provided below.

We take your privacy very seriously and work diligently to protect your
information, whether held by us or by our service providers. HSN's internal
databases, which store all customer-provided data, were in no way
compromised. Our email provider has taken significant steps to further
protect the limited customer information held in its databases. If you have
any questions or concerns regarding this incident, please contact us toll
free at 1-800-933-2887 or email us at
<customerservice () hsn com?subject=Important+Customer+Service+Notification>
customerservice () hsn com.

Sincerely,
Gregg Stallwood
Senior Vice President, Customer Care – HSN

Please do not reply to this email. If you would like to contact us, please
call us toll free at 1-800-933-2887 or email us at
<customerservice () hsn com?subject=Important+Customer+Service+Notification>
customerservice () hsn com.
HSN Interactive LLC | Attn: Customer Service | 1 HSN Drive | St. Petersburg,
FL 33729‪