BreachExchange mailing list archives

Fwd: Important information about a security breach at Ravelry.com (fwd)

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 21:51:12 -0500 (CDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Ravelry" <contact-us () ravelry com>
Date: Jun 6, 2011 2:41 AM
Subject: Important information about a security breach at Ravelry.com

          [image: Ravelry] <http://www.ravelry.com>
          (Wondering if this email is real? You can also see a similar notice
by logging in to Ravelry.com) *Important Information about a Ravelry
Security Breach*

  Dear Ravelry member,

An attacker recently managed to break in to one of Ravelry's secondary
servers. Once inside, they were able to access user names,
*encrypted*passwords, and possibly email addresses. Your passwords could
not be seen and no financial or other sensitive information was accessed
as we do not collect or store this type of data.

We think that it is important to be overly cautious and we need you to
change your password on Ravelry and on any other sites where you've used
the same or similar password, even if you used different usernames.
Because passwords were encrypted, we do not think that your password has
been exposed but it is important to change your passwords just to be safe.
There is a chance that some passwords could be decrypted given enough time
and computer power and we don't want to put anyone at risk.

You can change your password by logging into Ravelry
(http://www.ravelry.com) and clicking the "change your password now"
button on the security notice on the front page.  You can also change your
password by editing your profile: click your username in the upper right
of the page to access your profile, and click "edit your profile" to
change your password.  If you do not remember your Ravelry password, and
you have tried any passwords you may use on other sites, you can click "I
forgot" on the Ravelry homepage to receive a link for changing your
password.  If your browser is remembering your password, you will need to
log out to access that option.

*If you would like to delete your Ravelry account, *you do that by going
to the change password page mentioned above and using the "Delete my
Ravelry account" link.

*More information regarding the security breach,* including the steps we
are taking to make Ravelry more secure, can be found in our full notice at
http://www.ravelry.com/?showletter=1.  Additionally, we are listing
answers to Frequently Asked Questions and fielding further questions in
our
forums<http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/for-the-love-of-ravelry/1688283>.
You are also welcome to reply to this message if you have any questions or
concerns.

We are deeply sorry that this has happened. We care very much about
everyone on Ravelry and we're taking steps to make sure that we are all
more safe from this sort of attack.

We are also very sorry that some people who are not active members may
have been affected. If you'd like to delete your Ravelry account, please
use the information above to do so.

Casey, Jess, Mary-Heather and Sarah

(photo of our dog Bob after being sprayed by a skunk in 2009)

   If you would like to unsubscribe and stop receiving these emails click
here [URL]