BreachExchange mailing list archives

EventBrite e-mail addresses compromised?

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 18:12:04 -0500 (CDT)

I used EventBrite in October 2010 to purchase an event ticket for a local scotch tasting. When creating the account, I used a custom alias specific to that site, that is not reasonably guessable (e.g., this was not received as a result of brute force). A couple weeks ago, I received a single spam/scam to the address (the sanitized mail is below).

I wonder if EventBrite (http://www.eventbrite.com/) has been compromised, or their e-mail address leaked via a third party. The nature of the mail could be coincidental, but also sign that it is a targeted attack given the wording and lack of additional spam to the address.

Anyone heard about this?