BreachExchange mailing list archives

fringe: Gawker Shuts Down After Hackers

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 21:24:23 -0600 (CST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>

December 12, 2010
Gawker Shuts Down After Hackers

By BRIAN STELTER

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/13/business/media/13gawker.html

Web sites belonging to Gawker Media abruptly stopped publishing on Sunday
after mischief-making hackers gained access to the company?s servers.

People who had accounts on the flagship Gawker, Gizmodo, Jezebel and the
company?s other Web sites were told to change their passwords because, it
said in a statement, ?our user databases appear to have been compromised.?
Working anonymously, the hackers indicated that they had found more than
1.3 million user names and passwords, though it was unclear whether all of
the data had been decrypted.

The hackers published the passwords of some Gawker staff members and
mockingly identified thousands of users who had listed their password as
?password.?

?We?re deeply embarrassed by this breach,? Gawker said in a statement that
was posted across its suite of Web sites Sunday afternoon.

The incident was a black eye for Gawker, an eight-year-old digital media
company founded by Nick Denton that has grown up in New York.

[..]