BreachExchange mailing list archives

Admin note: List Information, Unsubscribe Information & a Warning

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 21:06:54 -0500 (CDT)

Warning: The tone of this mail is not very friendly. This is being sent
due to the continued problems some people are having, mainly centered
around common sense and being jerks to us.

Most of this information has been posted before, please read this for a
refresher if you are reasonably intelligent and don't need a stern
lecture:
http://lists.osvdb.org/pipermail/dataloss/2010-May/002410.html

A few reminders:

- Every post you receive has unsubscribe information in the headers of the
   mail. Almost every mail list does this. If you do not know how to view
   headers, that really isn't our fault. If you cannot check saved mail for
   (un)subscribe information, or find the information with Google, that
   really isn't our fault.

- To get on this list, you had to subscribe (via web interface or e-mail
   message), and then you had to *confirm* the subscription. This is a
   "double-opt in" list, and that is the ONLY way you got on the list. If
   you subscribed and forgot, that really isn't our fault. If you changed
   your mind and want to leave the list, fine with us. Your problems
   related to getting off the list should not be our fault.

- If for some reason you want to leave the list, and cannot find the
   instructions via Google, mail list header or your saved mail, we will
   help you get off the list. Caveat: your request better be polite. We are
   *tired* of people sending really shitty mails to us demanding this or
   that, and not remembering the above points. OSF projects, including
   DatalossDB.org, are entirely volunteer driven. We do this in our spare
   time to help the community. You do not have the right to treat us like
   shit. Sure, we've let you treat us that way until now..

Which brings us to the WARNING part of this mail:

- .. and that will change. Any administrative mail sent to volunteers that
   has a shitty tone, will be treated accordingly. What does that mean?

   1. It may be ignored. Subsequent whining will be auto-filtered so we
      never even see it.
   2. It will not result in you getting removed from the mail list.
   3. It may result in us verbally abusing you back, and then adding the
      entire exchange on Going Postal: http://attrition.org/postal/
      Take note, we will not sanitize your e-mail address or signature
      block. If you work for SomeBigCo, Inc., the resulting posts will
      reflect very negatively on you and your company. That really isn't
      our fault. Oh, some of us (me) have a nasty habit of adding random
      people to the CC: line on such replies. That means that your boss
      may be drug into your abusive demanding mail.

If all of that sounds 'bad', it is. Fortunately for you, it is easy to
avoid: remove yourself from the list if you no longer wish to receive
information related to data breaches, or send us a polite request if you
are having trouble so doing it on your own.

- security curmudgeon
   (volunteer)