BreachExchange mailing list archives

Important Information from American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 23:38:00 -0600 (CST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Honda <honda () honda messages1 com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 20:34:25 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Important Information from American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Dear Customer,

American Honda Motor Co., Inc. recently became aware of unauthorized
access to an email list used by a vendor to create a welcome email to
customers who have an Owner Link or My Acura vehicle account.  The data
that was obtained included your email address, your name, Vehicle
Identification Number (VIN) and User ID. Your password was not included
and no other sensitive information was contained in that list.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. As a company, we
believe that all customer relationships must be built on trust. That is
why we believe it is important to inform you of this incident. You may be
aware of attacks on email marketing systems, therefore we want to assure
you that we take the safeguarding of your information seriously and that
the appropriate authorities have been contacted regarding this incident.
Additionally, we have taken steps to minimize this type of exposure in the
future.

As a Company, we encourage you to continue to be aware of the increasingly
common email scams that may use your email address to contact you and ask
for personal or sensitive information -- Be cautious when opening links or
attachments from unsolicited third parties. Also, know that American Honda
Motor Co., Inc. will not send you emails asking for your credit card
number, social security number or other personal information. If ever
asked for this information, you can be confident it is not from us.

Again, let us reassure you that we are taking necessary steps to safeguard
your personal information.

If you would like further information on this topic please visit
honda.com/info/b

Thank you.

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Please do not reply to this email.

See our Privacy Policy:
http://links.mkt015.com/ctt?kn=1&m=3273184&r=MjIwNDg4MjczMjYS1&b=2&j=MTAyNDcyMjcxS0&mt=1&rt=0

(c)2010 American Honda Motor Co., Inc., 1919 Torrance Blvd., Torrance, CA 90501.