BreachExchange mailing list archives

CA: Corona-Norco school district confronts security breach

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 02:50:51 -0500 (CDT)

Via: http://www.databreaches.net/?p=13775

http://www.pe.com/localnews/stories/PE_News_Local_D_wbreach11.2c2dee8.html

Corona-Norco school district confronts security breach
01:06 AM PDT on Saturday, September 11, 2010

By DAYNA STRAEHLEY
The Press-Enterprise

The Corona-Norco school district inadvertently published the Social
Security numbers of more than 80 teachers and administrators on the
Internet, a security breach discovered by an information privacy watchdog.

Aaron Titus, information privacy director for the Liberty Coalition in
Washington, D.C., said he found the list using a Google search as part of
his volunteer work to protect privacy.

The district took the list off its website within two or three minutes
after Titus called them Aug. 31, but a backup copy remains online on
Google docs.

Michael Lin, assistant superintendent for human resources, said he has
been trying to get Google to remove that copy.

"I'm doing everything in my power to make it right," he said Friday by
phone.

Titus said he doesn't believe anyone can access the Google doc by
searching and without knowing the Internet address.

[..]