BreachExchange mailing list archives

CA: John Muir Health to notify 5, 450 patients of data breach

From: kirniki <kirniki () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 19:02:23 -0400

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2010/04/05/daily9.html

John Muir Health, the Walnut Creek-based hospital system, said Monday
it has begun notifying 5,450 patients by mail of a “potential breach
of their personal and health information.”

The move came after the theft two months ago of two laptop computers
at the John Muir Physician Network Perinatal office in Walnut Creek,
officials said April 5.

“The laptops were password protected and contained data in a format
that would not be readily accessible. While we have no evidence that
the information has been accessed or used inappropriately, we cannot
rule out that possibility, and, therefore, are notifying patients to
help protect their identity,” said Hala Helm, Muir’s vice president
and chief compliance and privacy officer.

“We apologize for any inconvenience or anxiety this incident may cause
our patients,” Helm said in the statement. “We take this issue very
seriously and are committed to protecting the personal and health
information of our patients.”

[..]