BreachExchange mailing list archives

CA: Los Angeles Firemen's CU Has Data Breach

From: Jake Kouns <jkouns () opensecurityfoundation org>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 13:38:36 -0400

http://www.cutimes.com/News/2010/5/Pages/Los-Angeles-Firemens-CU-Has-Data-Breach.aspx

 The $889 million Los Angeles Firemen's Credit Union has notified some
of its more than 28,000 members that private information may have been
compromised.

The May 10 letter from CEO Michael Maestro said that “an extremely
small percentage” of member files were “not properly moved” when the
CU relocated from an old location. The data that could have been
compromised included members names, addresses, phone numbers, account
numbers, social security numbers and other identifiers.

The CU sought to reassure members that it did not believe any of their
information had been compromised and that the CU had “state of the art
protocols” available to validate member identifies. The CU also
arranged for CU members who chose to do so to be able to enroll in a
credit monitoring service for the next two years at no cost to them.

“We are committed to protecting our members' information and deeply
apologize for this unfortunate incident,” Maestro wrote. “While this
was an isolated incident direct related to our move, we're carefully
reviewing our operational policies and procedures to ensure this type
of situation never happens again,” he added.