BreachExchange mailing list archives

TN: Missing Student Records From Chattanooga State

From: kirniki <kirniki () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 21:49:57 -0400

http://www.newschannel9.com/news/chattanooga-990629-missing-records.html

Nearly two thousand students records from Chattanooga State are
missing.  Administrators there tell us the company hired to scan the
documents, mishandled them.  The school says this is not the first
time this company hired to protect information did the opposite.  They
say it's the same business who dumped medical documents from several
local hospitals last year.  Now the school is trying to safeguard
their students personal information.

Some students at Chattanooga State like Anthony Price say they're
concerned today.  "It's pretty scary, hopefully it won't happen
again."

That after 1700 student applications are reported missing.  The school
says it took the records to a company, United Imaging in Walker
County, where the papers would be converted to computer discs.  Vice
President Jeff Olingy says they had used the company for 3 years with
no issues, until early last year.  "We were contacted by individuals
who said there was something awry going on at this scanning site."

That's when the school found their records in disarray, and brought
them back.  The papers included students' names, social security
numbers, addresses, phone numbers, some even contained high school
transcripts.  Chattanooga State says they went through each one, hand
by hand, and found nearly 2000 missing from 2007.  "When we looked at
it by each item, we realized there were discrepancies and there were
missing documents."
[..]