BreachExchange mailing list archives

Commonwealth Bank blunder leaks customer account details

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 08:54:10 +0000 (UTC)

[Older incident, courtesy of A.P.]

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Commonwealth Bank blunder leaks customer account details

Article from: The Courier-Mail
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,27574,25547350-3102,00.html

Anna Caldwell

May 28, 2009 12:00am

THE private financial details of 19 Queenslanders have been leaked in an embarrassing privacy breach by the nation's biggest bank.

Jimboomba resident Darren Starkey was shocked to receive more than 40 pages of Commonwealth Bank customers' April financial statements when he received his own in the post on May 21.

The statements detailed the names, addresses, bank account numbers, loan details and financial transactions of 19 people who were unknown to Mr Starkey and lived throughout the state.

"I was shocked when I opened the envelope and found all these people's personal details," Mr Starkey said. "It is a serious breach of privacy. I would hate for my bank statement to be seen by someone else – what if it went to a criminal?"

Until The Courier-Mail informed the Commonwealth Bank of the blunder, neither the bank nor the people whose statements had been leaked had any idea about the mistake.

Several hours later, in a written statement, a spokeswoman for the Commonwealth Bank said she was "very concerned that a small number of customers' statements were mistakenly included with Mr Starkey's statement".

[..]