BreachExchange mailing list archives

Strangers Lose Personal Information in Non-Profit Mix-Up

From: kirniki <kirniki () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 11:52:33 -0500

http://www.kspr.com/news/local/83412157.html

A mistake by a not-for-profit group may put more than 200 landlords at
risk for identity theft. The mistake sent tax forms and social
security numbers to strangers.

More than 500 landlords work with OACAC, the Ozarks Area Community
Action Corporation.

On January 28, 2010, half of those landlords didn't receive tax forms.
The other half got their forms and someone else's private information.

[..]

"If I've got his, who has mine?" Masteller asked. "I know where he
lives, his account number, his federal ID number and his Social
Security number."

OACAC’s director, Carl Rosenkranz, says the organization printed two
1099 forms on one piece of paper. They were supposed to separate them
and send each to the rightful owner. Instead one person got both.
"Anyone could get on the internet and apply for credit," Masteller
said.