BreachExchange mailing list archives

Modelling data breaches and collecting data

From: Luther Martin <martin () voltage com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 18:00:28 -0800

I recently got a few minutes to crunch some more of the data about data breaches and found something interesting. I've
mentioned before how the size of breaches appears to follow a lognormal distribution. What I recently found is that the
fit gets better as you go back a few years into the past. So the fit is very good for 2006, good, but not quite as good
for 2007, etc.

My theory is that this is due to the way in which the data is collected. I'd guess that lots of the big breaches are
widely reported, but the smaller breaches that might only involve a few records only show up later, maybe after someone
files a FOIA request to get information about all the breaches that took place in a particular state, for example.

If this is true, I'd expect to see a better and better fit to the model over time as more data is collected.

Any thought on that?