BreachExchange mailing list archives

700 patients at Houston Tx. hospital at risk of ID theft

From: Henry Brown <hbrown () knology net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 05:25:08 -0600

 From the Houston Chronicle: http://bit.ly/4JIJ02

Some private health information and Social Security numbers of nearly
700 patients of the Methodist Hospital are at risk after a computer was
stolen from the hospital's medical office building a week ago.

Letters were mailed Friday notifying patients of the theft, which
involved a computer attached to a device that tests pulmonary function.
The theft occurred Jan. 18 at the hospital's wellness department at the
Smith Tower across the street from Methodist.

“We have no knowledge that the information has been removed from the
computer or will be used inappropriately, Methodist said in a statement.
But we've taken additional steps to protect patient information and are
also tightening security in our office buildings.

Methodist is offering affected patients free credit monitoring and
identify theft protection services.

The statement said that after learning of the theft, Methodist worked
with the Houston Police Department and reported the matter to the
Department of Health and Human Services .